Mr. Knottnerus is an experienced civil litigator and a Senior Partner of the firm. His practice emphasizes product liability defense, insurance coverage and defense, and complex commercial litigation.
Mr. Knottnerus is admitted to practice law in the state and federal courts of Oregon, Washington and Alaska. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Mr. Knottnerus has been selected to Oregon Super Lawyers and has long been an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Knottnerus has also been included in The Best Lawyers in America©, most recently selected for the 24th Edition in the practice area of Product Liability Litigation.
Mr. Knottnerus received his Bachelor of Science degree, with honors, from the University of Montana in 1986, and earned his Juris Doctorate from the University of Oregon in 1989, where he was awarded Order of the Coif.
Mr. Knottnerus is a member of the Oregon, Washington and Alaska Bar Associations. He is a sustaining member of the Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC). Mr. Knottnerus is a member of the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (OADC), Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (WDTL) and Defense Research Institute (DRI). He has served as the Chair and Vice Chair of the Product Liability Committee of the OADC and on the Executive Committee for the Product Liability Section of the Oregon State Bar. Mr. Knottnerus is also a member of the Tort & Insurance Practice Section and Product Liability Committee of the American Bar Association. Mr. Knottnerus is also a member of the Legal Task Force for the Sports & Fitness Industry Association (formally Sporting Goods Manufacturing Association).
- Representation of manufacturers of recreational and outdoor products, including motorcycles, ATV’s, side-by-sides, firearms and helmets in various product liability cases. Mr. Knottnerus has particular experience working with foreign witnesses and engineers for testimony in deposition and at trial. For the past few years, Mr. Knottnerus has served as national coordinating counsel to Yamaha for cases and trials around the United States.
- Representation of automobile, truck and component manufacturers in product liability cases involving seat belts, side impact, rollover, air bags, fuel systems, fires, seats, brakes, asbestos, animal collisions, and warnings.
- Representation of manufacturers of industrial, timber and agricultural equipment in cases involving rollover protection devices, fires, hydraulic systems, conveyors, lockout devices, bearing failure, guarding, and heavy duty transmissions.
- Representation of manufacturers of various commercial and consumer products such as transmissions, appliances, fuel systems, electrical systems and hydraulic systems.
- Representation of Lloyd’s, London market insurers, or their insureds, in tort, property and coverage matters including construction, logging, dram shop, pollution, asbestos, torts and professional liability.