Tom is a civil defense litigator with a specific focus on products liability, insurance coverage, construction law, and the defense of financial institutions.
Tom graduated from Lewis & Clark Law School. Before that, he majored in journalism at the University of Oregon.
Tom is admitted to practice in both Oregon and Washington. He has appeared in state and federal courts in both states, as well as the Oregon Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Tom is also a member of the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (OADC), the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (“WDTL”), and the Defense Research Institute (DRI). Tom actively participates in local bar activities, and is currently serving on the board of directors for the St. Andrew Legal Clinic (Vice President) and on the committee for the Clinic’s annual Taste for Justice auction.
Tom was selected as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. That distinction recognizes the top 2.5% of attorneys under 40 in each state, as chosen by their peers. Tom was also selected by his peers to the Best Lawyers in America list in 2020, 2021, and 2022 for the field of Commercial Litigation.
- “Assigning Claims Against an Insurer: The Evolution of the Stubblefield Rule in Oregon,” The Verdict, 2013 – Issue 3.
- Contributor to the 5th edition of the Oregon State Bar Professional Liability Fund’s Oregon Statutory Time Limitations publication on “Personal Injury and Property Damage.”
- For the past several years has served, along with partner John Knottnerus, as national coordinating counsel to Yamaha for cases and trials around the United States.
- Representation of manufacturers of recreational and outdoor products, heavy construction equipment, commercial appliances, automobiles, and component parts in various product liability cases throughout Oregon and Washington.
- Representation of general contractors and subcontractors in various construction-related matters throughout Oregon and Washington.
- Representation of Lloyd’s, London market insurers, or their insureds, in tort, property and coverage matters including construction, pollution, and torts in Oregon and Washington.
- Representation of financial institutions in cases alleging violations of the Federal Truth in Lending Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Oregon Unlawful Debt Collection Practices Act, and other federal and state laws, in State and Federal Courts throughout Oregon and in the Oregon Court of Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.