Tom is a civil defense litigator with a specific focus on products liability, insurance coverage, construction law, and the defense of financial institutions.
Tom graduated from Lewis & Clark Law School. Before that, he majored in journalism at the University of Oregon.
Tom is admitted to practice in both Oregon and Washington. He has appeared in state and federal courts in both states, as well as the Oregon Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Tom is also a member of the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel (OADC), the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (“WDTL”), and the Defense Research Institute (DRI). Tom actively participates in local bar activities, currently serving as a committee member for the Taste for Justice benefiting St. Andrew Legal Clinic. Tom was selected as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers in 2017, 2018, and 2019. That distinction recognizes the top 2.5% of attorneys under 40 in each state, as chosen by their peers.
- “Assigning Claims Against an Insurer: The Evolution of the Stubblefield Rule in Oregon,” The Verdict, 2013 – Issue 3.
- Contributor to the 5th edition of the Oregon State Bar Professional Liability Fund’s Oregon Statutory Time Limitations publication on “Personal Injury and Property Damage.”
- Represented manufacturers of recreational and outdoor products, heavy construction equipment, commercial appliances, automobiles, and component parts in various product liability cases throughout Oregon and Washington.
- Represented Lloyd’s, London market insurers, or their insureds, in tort, property and coverage matters including construction, pollution, asbestos and torts in Oregon and Washington.
- Successfully defended financial institutions in cases alleging violations of the Federal Truth in Lending Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Oregon Unlawful Debt Collection Practices Act, and other federal and state laws, in State and Federal Courts throughout Oregon and in the Oregon Court of Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Represented general contractors and subcontractors in various construction-related matters throughout Oregon and Washington.